January 22, 2013
Today in class we talked about Health and Nutrition Policy. Dr. Holben passed around a copy of the paper, and had us look at a figure about where our tax money is distributed throughout the government. It was interesting to learn that about $139.07 of our tax dollars goes to food and nutrition assistance. I believe that SNAP, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, needs to have stricter rules set in place about what someone can get with food stamps and what they aren't allowed to get. I understand that this is a free country and everyone is entitled to eat what they want to, but it's my tax dollars. I want someone to eat healthy, nutritious food. I'm positive that other people feel the same.
January 24, 2013
Food security isn't about making sure your food is safe, or locked up, but refers to the availability of food and someone's access to it. We covered what it means to have food security, and what are some signs of someone being food insecure. We also watched the beginning of one of my favorite movies Erin Brockovich, which was released in 2000. I've seen this movie a couple times, but it wasn't until now I noticed many signs that Erin was food insecure. Such as her living conditions, her debt problems, and her going without food at the restaurant to save money. This is an excellent example of food insecurity, and how many Americans are faced with problems like this every day. I am looking forward to learning more about food insecurity, and how it can be prevented in a community.
No comments:
Post a Comment