Sunday, February 17, 2013

February 12th, 2013

Today in class we finished going through everyone's agency assignments. After we were done, we started to discuss learning goals and objectives. Dr. Holben formulated the statement "After completing NUTR 4000, the learner will be able to state the definition of community nutrition with 100% accuracy." Next, as a class, we came up with our own statement from: Cooking program for the 5th grade, whole grains incorporated, and recognize the whole grain foods. We came up with, "After completing the cooking program, a 5th grade student will be able to recognize 3 out of 5 whole grain foods with 90% accuracy."

Objectives are important because it states what we want the outcome to be, and may allow us to increase the chances of completing the objective. Also, the Magic Triangle shows the relationships between learning activities, objectives, and evaluation. If these three aspects are harmonious, then learning and teaching is enhanced.

February 14th, 2013

Karen Dion from the Ohio Board of Dietetics came into our classroom to talk to us about licensure, regulation, and practice in Ohio. I think Karen has an interesting job that I wasn't even aware existed until she came in to speak to our class. For a dietitian to practice in the state of Ohio they need to be licensed. Also, if someone is practicing without a license or calling themselves a dietitian, the Board receives a complaint and they will investigate it. Also, licensure and registration varies between state to state. Some states may require something that another won't.

Although I am not on the path to become a registered dietitian, this information will be beneficial for the future if I ever decide to pursue my RD, or to ensure I am not breaking any rules through the Ohio Board of Dietetics.

No comments:

Post a Comment